Sunday, December 15, 2013

Till Death Do Us Part

For all the arguing my parents did over 64 years, they were still the most important people in the world to each other. We witnessed the joy that weighed more than any amount of argument.

When Dad was in the hospital and then during recovery I heard him say, “I love you,” to Mom, cumulatively more times than I had ever heard. As he was dying, one of his greatest concerns was Mom’s welfare.

Now Mom has been hospitalized over two months. She’s tired and depressed. She’s old. She’s heartbreakingly lonely. All she wants is to be with her husband. Yesterday she asked the nurse to see her husband. “He’s in the next room,” she directed. Today when she said she wanted to see him right away and then was reminded he’s been in heaven six months, she made the simple reply, “He will be able to help me.” And I wept to hear these things.

Man and woman come together sexually in the union of marriage and truly become one. Their spirits are joined. And when those two stick it out and work through the good times and the bad, the better or worse times, the sickness and the health, then even death cannot part them.


Oh, God, have mercy on my mother.





To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Diane said...

It is heartbreaking to watch your parents grow old. Your Mom probably feels your Dad speaking
to her. I am thinking of you, and you are in my prayers.

Cheryl Writes On said...

thank you for your prayers, Diane. I agree with you.