Monday, December 2, 2013

A song of Thanksgiving for Elaine Foster, the woman who brought me into this world.

Dear Mom,

When I think of you, Mommy, it has always been with great thanks. You carried me for nine months under your heart. Then you carried me next to your heart because God is good. You fed me and clothed me and nurtured me in the ways of God and morals.

Now that I am, supposedly, all grown up, when my mind reflects on you it is with even deeper thanksgiving. Because now I know that my solid foundation of faith is not only because you brought me to church every week while I grew up. It is also because you have been a steadfast role model of what it means to be a Christian and to trust in our Creator. You are a woman of prayer and worship, recognizing that our relationship with God must be nurtured with communication and within the full body of Christ known as The Church. And I have watched you be the ears, the hands, and the heart of Jesus to countless numbers of friends and strangers alike. You have listened with a caring heart. You have given time and energy to many in the form of cooking and teaching and prayer. You have shown me the gift of hospitality as you have always graciously opened your home to many. You put the needs of others before your own. And your first thoughts are always about the welfare of the people in the world around you, not yourself.

Becoming more like Jesus and loving like Him is our purpose on earth. You are not perfect. No one on this earth, except Jesus, is perfect. But thanks be to God that He alone knows our hearts and it is our hearts that He judges. I know without a doubt that when He looks at your heart, He sees one that desires to love first and to become like Jesus.

I will treasure the greatest gifts of your heart in mine for all eternity, for these are the gifts that can never be taken away. Thank you.

If I were standing next to you right now, I would whisper in your ear, “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, there’s just something about that Name.” And even where I am at this moment, I do whisper, Jesus, for you.

I love you, Mommy.


December 2, 2013


To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Karen Fili Sullivan said...

You are a poet. Beautiful. It filled my heart beyond capacity! Love

Cheryl Writes On said...

Awww...thank you, Karen.