Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Parents and Children: Grown-ups Together

We enjoyed a spectacular drive home from southeast Iowa yesterday after working through the weekend, breaking my foot, and topping off the afternoon with a 12 mile bike ride on a lovely trail. We were so thankful to have brought our hybrid cycles since the weather was atypical for August at 75 degrees and sunny. The day canopied us with a near cloudless azure sky.

The first 75 miles of the drive found us on winding roads that cut through deep green rolling farmland. The Blues & Jazz CD that Ed made from Dad’s collection when we visited last Thanksgiving accompanied my thoughts while Ed dozed beside me. I tapped the steering wheel with the percussionists.

Practically perfect in every way.

Except for the musical reminders of Dad.

This time the music rekindled my regret of not having any real adult alone time with him. We shared on the phone and occasionally in person about the music we both enjoyed. We talked about the artists we both loved. But the closest I ever came to sharing the real music in person was when he played snare at our Hard Bean Café one night with Ed on guitar and Becca on vocals, and a few other great musicians playing their hearts out. For that event I am enormously grateful.

I quietly guided the car up and down hill after rising hill and imagined an all day road trip with my dad. We’d play all kinds of music and discuss everything about it. Life topics would arise naturally in our conversation. I would learn in a way that can’t happen on phone calls or short visits. He would be glad to hear some of my insights, as well. My eyes brimmed.

If you, my reader, are an adult and are blessed to have a parent living, don’t let significant alone time with that parent be something you miss out on. That time is unlike any of our growing up days. When we’re adults with our parents, we have the opportunity to share wisdom and life perspectives on a different level. It’s a level that may be both higher and deeper. Let no regrets fill your heart when your parent passes.



To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: